The meanings of color, for painting artwork, is often used to define the expressive mood of an artist’s thought. It applies to any form of painting work, be it for oil painting, watercolor, pastel color, wall decor, etc; using it to symbolize or as an influence to one’s emotion. A good understanding of color and its meaning, will provide an advantage to artists who try to verbalize a message by visual language. Likewise, a viewer will also has a better understanding and appreciation of an artist’s work.
Cultural difference between the Western or Chinese paintings may, however, convey a different meanings of color. One of the commonly used color, such as red color, maybe use to express anger or warmth. On the contrary , the Chinese paintings has a different interpretation on its significance; red color is use to express luck and prosperity.
Below listed some of the basic colors describing the meanings.
- BLUE: peace, professionalism, youth, truth, loyalty, reliability, peace, honor, melancholia, boredom, coldness, Winter, depth, stability, professionalism, honor, trust
- YELLOW: attention-grabbing, wisdom, comfort, liveliness, cowardliness, hunger, optimism, overwhelm, joy, Summer, comfort, liveliness, intellect, happiness, energy
- PURPLE: power, royalty, nobility, elegance, sophistication, artificial, luxury, mystery, royalty, elegance, magic, lavender
- RED: warmth, love, anger, danger, confidence, courage, excitement, speed, strength, determination, desire, courage
- BROWN: relaxing, confident, casual, reassuring, nature, earthy, solid, reliable, genuine, Autumn, endurance
- GREEN: durability, life, fertility, reliability, environmental, luxurious, optimism, well-being, nature, calm, relaxation, Spring, safety, honesty, optimism, harmony, freshness
- GRAY: conservatism, traditionalism, intelligence, serious, dull, uninteresting
- ORANGE: cheerfulness, low cost, affordability, enthusiasm, stimulation, vitality with endurance, creativity
BLACK: Elegance, sophistication, formality, power, strength, illegality, depression, morbidity, night
- WHITE: Cleanliness, purity, newness, virginity, peace, innocence, simplicity, sterility, snow